4. September 2010

Today I spoke to Eli Roth

Today I had my first real interview with a star (never mind the hidden insult to anybody else I interviewed so far, including Chris Hülsbeck). The name is Eli Roth and he's best known as "that horror movie guy". He likes blood and gore as much as the next person, so I was really looking forward to talking to him. Turns out: He's fun, he's nice and I could have interviewed myself instead of him and gotten the same answers out. Except for his explanatory work on what it exactly is, a "producer" of a hollywood movie does.

First off: I was really nervous beforehand. Who wouldn't be? And of course I wanted to let everyobdy I've ever met know: I'm so cool now, I interviewed Eli Roth. It's the first time in my life I actually wish there would be a school reunion of some sort (I've been to so many schools it's actually insane there's not some reunion I could go to every month). Even though I didn't get to rub my success into the face of my mostly loathed or completely indifferent schoolmates - there's always facebook (please join my facebook-group "Sarah is so cool - she interviewed Eli Roth today" or at least say "Like").

As for the rest of my life around the interview I just had: This might come as a shock, but I'm tired. Since gamescom I'm more into videogames than I ever was before! There are some truly spectacular and fantastic upcoming titles, I'm really looking forward! And I still wish and hope I could somehow go into the industry BUT... my heart is torn. Ever since I was a little girl (with a huge crush on Harrison Ford first and then Val Kilmer) I loved movies. I read movie magazines (The CINEMA - I'm still loyal to) whose contents were way to adult for a child. I hid them until I became a teenager, that's when nothing matters anymore anyway. I started to catch up on classics I hadn't seen to that day. Away from Star Wars, TRON and the Ghostbusters. There came Pulp Fiction, 2001: Space Oddyssey and the Blues Brothers. With movies I found meaning in life. Whatever I was interested in, there was a movie about it (today the rule's slightly different. Yes, I'm talking rule 34). I grew up, but my taste never did. I still watch and love the same crap I did as a kid. Same with videogames and I'm not particularily proud of it. Maybe a little bit.

Anyway, today was the day I interviewed Eli Roth. And the thing is: He obviously knew what he did and how to do it. I rather didn't. But it didn't go that bad. I couldn't use 80% of the questions I prepared because he mentioned that he didn't have anything to do with the production of the movie I should ask him about. And I was too scared to ask the one question I was personally interested in, because I was personally interested in. But that all on the side: It was a nice experience and more than that: These 15 minutes on the phone with Eli Roth are an incentive I have been waiting for during my whole (and rather brief) career with video games:

I have a dream again. I have a new goal I would really like to reach in the future, I have something to work for, and although it is even more difficult and probably way more impossible than to get into the video game industry: I want to be a writer for some movie magazine. I really do. I want to have to travel to New York to see the presentation of the new "Back to the future"-BluRay Disc. I want to have to go to ComicCon. I want to have to go to Munich to meet poeple like Eli Roth or Daniel Stamm.

Daniel Stamm by the way is the very nice and friendly director of "The Last Exorcism". He was my second interview partner today and he was actually more fun than Eli Roth. He told me a lot of very interesting things and I quickly realised he's genuinely smart - but not in an intimidating way. It was a really nice interview and I really wish him a long and successful career. I'm probably not allowed to use anything he said to me for this blog, but one sentence will never make it into any DVD magazine or blog anyway, he said:
"If you and I would go into the forest alone..."

So, I was more scared to interview him than I was with Eli Roth, because the Stamm interview was in german. And I think we all know that my german could really be better and I'm way more secure in the english language. But nevertheless, it was kind of an awesome phonecall. Yeah.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen